Best Practices to Maintain Eye Health
Maintaining eye health is essential to your overall well-being. According to the optometrist professionals at Athens Family Vision Clinic, with two convenient locations in Athens, the following are the best practices to maintain eye health:
Regular Eye Exams
The most important practice is to schedule a routine eye exam with an eye doctor. A regular eye exam offers early detection that can help identify and prevent certain eye conditions and diseases.
Protect Your Eyes
- From UV Radiation: Wear sunglasses that block 100% of UVA/UVB rays to reduce your risk of cataracts, etc.
- In the Workplace: If your job involves tasks that strain your eyes (e.g., extended computer work), ensure your workspace is ergonomically designed with proper lighting.
- Limit screen time and take breaks when working or using digital devices.
- Wear protection if you play sports or work in an environment with possible eye hazards to prevent injuries.
Take control of how you manage your life:
- Eat a Balanced Diet: Consume a diet rich in vegetables, fruits, and Omega-3 fatty acids found in fish. Drink sufficient water to maintain appropriate moisture levels in your eyes.
- Maintain a Healthy Weight: Obesity increases the risk of developing diabetes and potentially diabetic retinopathy.
- Get Enough Sleep: Quality sleep is essential for your eyes and overall health.
- Quit Smoking: Smoking is associated with various eye diseases and poor health.
Manage Your Health
- Certain medical conditions (e.g., diabetes and hypertension) can impact eye health.
- Follow the instructions of your eye doctor:
- If you have been prescribed medication for an eye condition.
- If you are a contact lens wearer, don’t wear them longer than recommended.
Remember that if you experience any severe or sudden changes in your vision, eye pain, or other concerning symptoms, consult with an optometrist professional immediately.
Contact a Leading Optometrist in Athens, GA
Are you looking for an eye doctor near you? For more information, contact one of our staff members at Athens Family Vision Clinic at 706-543-3599 or reach us online.